Saturday 21 April 2012

gefilte fish sous vide

I get emails from SousVide Supreme about an israeli chef who said his gefilte fish was better than his grandmothers.  Well I am always up for a challenge, so I checked out his recipe, and although in theory his was gefilte fish it wasnt the gefilte fish I had growing up. 

My mothers was white fish and pike ground up with carrots celery and onions, not fillets as was inthe recipe from sous vide supreme.  So I set out to test making gefilte fish sous vide.  For the passover seder at my in-laws, we presented two kinds, one baked in the oven (my MIL) and mine cooked sous vide.  Both were made using the exact same recipe though so taste was the same.

My recipe for (real) gefilte fish sous vide is
White fish and Pike mixture (can be bought at any fish store)
onion
Carrot
salt and pepper
sugar
matzo meal
eggs

blend all together and cook in your sous vide machine at 140 for approx 1.5 hours.  Let it cool over night in the fridge before using.

No comments:

Post a Comment