Saturday 3 March 2012

cinnamon duck rillete

Duck Rillette...ah what to say about shredded duck confit, mixed with more duck fat, Dijon mustard and pungent black pepper.  This is a dish that is made from confited duck leg or neck, and eaten cold usually as an hor's doeurves or appetizer.

As I posted in an earlier post about duck confit, I decided to try something really different this time.  I do love duck confit, and I really wanted to try something new test a new recipe if you will.  So I decided to make duck confit but instead of marinating it with herbs, salt and pepper, I decided cinnamon and nutmeg was the flavour of the day.

So here is what I did.  I took my duck and as usual I used a lot of salt and pepper, sugar, bay leaf, crushed cinnamon stick and a couple of pinches of nutmeg.   I let the duck sit for 48 hours covered, then washed off the curing mixture.  After drying the duck legs, I put into a bag, with a bay leaf, one cinnamon stick, and a little of duck fat, vacuum sealed it and into the sous vide machine at 125 degrees for 16 hours. Ones cooked I cooled the duck down in the fridge over night and then shredded the meat, mixed it with dijon mustard, duck fat, salt and pepper, and put a large spoonful on a crustini.

The taste is nice and  sharp and goes down great with a nice sweeter wine.


1 comment:

  1. looks less fat that the "rillettes du mans" I used to eat !
    Looks tasty !

    ReplyDelete